Family Camping Guide
Do you love the outdoors? Do you feel like you never get enough time to really spend outside? Then you should take the family camping for a family vacation this year. Going camping as a family can be a great way to spend some quality time with each other and make memories that will last a lifetime. You might even start a family tradition that your kids will carry on with their own children.
By nature kids love to get outside and play, and these days not enough kids go outside to play on a regular basis. Overly structured schedules, parents that work, daycare, and safety concerns all mean that kids usually end up indoors most of the time in front of the computer, video game console or TV.
Because kids love the outdoors and don’t really get that much of an opportunity to spend a lot of time outside a vacation spent enjoying a national park or hiking through a forest can be a great way to get kids off the couch and doing something more active.
There are lots of different destinations that you can use to plan a family camping trip. National parks are a great place to take the family camping and they are usually fairly inexpensive too. Or you can go somewhere exotic and plan a camping vacation as a way to really explore somewhere that you wouldn’t otherwise get to see.
Camping vacations also usually cost less than other types of vacations so if you’re trying to save money or you don’t have the money to take an expensive family vacation this year a camping trip across the country or even to a local park can be a fun way to get time with the family that doesn’t cost a lot of money.
When you start to plan a family camping vacation it might seem overwhelming because there are a lot of details that you need to think about in order to make the trip a success. What gear to use, which gear is the best, what food do you need to bring, and of course, where should you go are all questions that you will need to answer before you can have a successful family camping trip.
Planning a family camping vacation can be a lot of work, but it’s worth the effort. Your kids will only be kids for so long, and a family camping trip is a great way to make memories that will last a lifetime.
Not convinced that camping is right for your family or that a few days or a week spent in the wilderness without the distraction of TV or video games is the ideal family vacation? These five reasons will convince you that a family camping trip is the idea vacation. You should go camping as a family because:
- It’s educational – The kids will learn about nature and wildlife as well as about learning about national monuments and state parks. Kids also learn other skills from camping like independence, self-reliance, wilderness skills and first aid.
- It’s active- Obesity is a growing epidemic among children. Instead of taking your kids to a theme park or taking them on a vacation where they will just sit around most of them time taking them camping will be encouraging them to swim, hike, and do other outdoor activities.
- It’s a way to get great quality time – When you’re off on a family camping trip you will have lots of quality time to spend with your spouse and your kids because it will just be the family in a quiet, beautiful outdoor environment. No TV, videogames, movies, or other distractions will keep you from focusing on your family or keep them from focusing on you. For families where both parents work and are busy all the time it’s a wonderful way to reconnect with your kids.
- It’s cheap – Most camping vacations cost a lot less than traditional vacations. Camping in state parks or other historical areas often costs less than $100 for a week’s worth of camping. You will need to spend money on gear, but later in the book we’ll look at ways you can cut the costs of buying camping gear.
The biggest expenses that you will have will be food and gas. Eating meals that you cook yourself with groceries you bring with you will be much cheaper than eating in a restaurant three times a day like you would on a traditional vacation, and gas will probably be cheaper than what you would spend on airfare for the whole family.
- It’s something everyone in the family can enjoy – Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to relax and enjoy yourself without having to listen to one child complain that he or she wants to go to the pool while another cries bitterly because you won’t buy them a new boat/sweater/ toy or trinket and the other just sits in the corner with a sullen look and kicks the bed repeatedly?
A camping vacation is a real vacation for the whole family because there is always something fun and active to do for people who want to do something active and that leaves plenty of time for the people that want to do nothing (usually the parents) to sit and enjoy the quiet stillness of nature.